Port William Cruise & Walk (Halfmoon Bay - Port William Schedule)
- Duration: 30 Minutes (approx.)
- Product code: HMB - PW SCHEDULE
SAVE 10% BY COMBINING THIS TOUR WITH OUR HALF DAY PATERSON INLET SCENIC & WILDLIFE TOUR AND/OR OUR ULVA ISLAND CONNECTION TRIP.
YOU WILL BE PROMPTED TO ADD AN ADDITIONAL TOUR WHEN BOOKING - USE PROMO CODES 2-DAY10 OR 3-DAY10 TO REDEEM YOUR DISCOUNT.
The Port William coastal track is part of the Rakiura Great Walk; the southern-most of New Zealand's ten Great Walks, and one of the island’s most popular half-day experiences. Discover this unique part of Aotearoa either with an experienced guide, or as a freedom walk.
This tour runs daily at 9am departing from the main Halfmoon Bay Wharf in Oban. Book online instantly using the availability checker on this page.
For those who are not able to join the 9am summer service, we may be able to provide an on demand departure. Please get in touch with us to discuss this option.Tour Highlights:
- Short scenic cruise along the stunning East Coast of Stewart Island
- Full commentary from your Skipper
- Disembark at historical Port William, a site of early Maori settlement
- Discover the former Maori Beach sawmill settlement
- Enjoy a 3-4hr walk on a forested & coastal section of the Rakiura Great Walk
- Look out for the native birdlife along the track
- Choose to finish the track at Lee Bay or extend your walk to Halfmoon Bay or Horseshoe Point
This is one of our most popular Stewart Island Tours. We offer a convenient daily departure point from Halfmoon Bay Wharf. Please check the calendar to the right, or contact us for bookings.
A short cruise with skipper commentary takes you along the stunning east coast of Stewart Island to bring you to Port William. Port William was a site of early Maori settlement. The nearby, beautiful Maori Beach was also the site of a sawmill, long since abandoned.
From here you access the Rakiura Great Walk which takes you through scenic forested and coastal sections of this National Park area through to Lee Bay. This section of the track takes around 3-4 hours and can be enjoyed as a freedom walk (the track is well marked but may be muddy in places), or as a guided walk. Please contact our team if you would like to be part of a guided tour.
Along the way there are lots of opportunities for native birdlife spotting. On coastal sections you may spot Mutton birds (Sooty Shearwaters), Buller’s Mollymawks, Shags, Cape Pigeons, and even little Blue Penguins. While in the native bush you may spot Bellbirds, Tui, Parakeets, Fantails, Kaka, Tomtits and even a Shining Cuckoo and Grey Warbler which are rarely spotted on the mainland.
You can end your walk at Lee Bay. From here you can book a taxi to collect you and take you back to Halfmoon Bay/Oban. Or you can walk the rest of the way back along the local roads, (an additional 1.25 hours walk). If you are looking for an additional challenge, the Horseshoe Point Headland walk loop is another 1.5 hours along the way.
Outside of our daily summer departures this trip can also be booked on demand ($60pa, $30pc) . Please get in touch with us to enquire.What to bring:
- Warm, comfortable clothing and footwear, and wet weather gear
- Binoculars (optional)
- Personal water bottle, lunch and snacks
- Insect repellent is recommended
- Port William, Maori Beach and Lee Bay offer beautiful swimming spots; bring a swimsuit and towel if you'd like to brave the chilly clear waters!
Please note that this service is dependent on minimum numbers being met, and weather conditions.